The Phillies took on the Toronto Blue Jays this afternoon at the Florida Auto Exchange Stadium in Dunedin this afternoon. I won’t bother trying to make this game sound any more exciting than it actually was. In reality it didn’t even get remotely interesting until the bottom of the 9th anyway. We’ll go forth with a “here’s what happened and this was the score” type recap. Bottom line The Phillies scored runs and the Jays had errors.
Here’s What Happened:
- There were 18mph winds in Dunedin today that made for some pretty tricky plays.
- Halladay allowed two hits and one walk while striking out one in his two innings of work. The 2010 National League Cy Young Award winner threw 25 pitches, including 18 strikes, against his former team.
- Roy Halladay, J.C. Ramirez and Michael Stutes respectively tossed two innings each of scoreless baseball.
- The only thing of interest in the 1st inning was a nice play from Wilson Valdez at 2B over to John Mayberry at 1B to end the inning off a ground out by Jay’s Juan Rivera.
- In the second inning Jay’s pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes walks both Ben Francisco and Dominic Brown. Delwyn Young reaches on a fielding error by Toronto’s second basemen John McDonald to load the bases.
- Carlos Ruiz had a double in the 2nd to score Francisco and Brown
- Wilson Valdez makes a nice out in the bottom of the 2nd cutting in front of John Mayberry fighting against the wind in foul territory off a pop up from J.P. Arencibia.
- Placido Polanco singled in the 3rd for his first hit of the spring.
- The third inning had a #LOLjays moment; A wild pitch from Joel Carreno who replaced Reyes for the Jays, to John Mayberry moved Polanco to 2B, Mayberry reaches on a fielding error by Jays SS Yunel Escobar, moving Polanco to 3B, with Dominic Brown batting, Mayberry steals 2B and Polanco scores on a throwing error by Jays catcher Arencibia.
- The Phillies scored 3 in the fourth. Carreno walks Valdez, Rollins singles on a fly ball, Victorino singles, Toronto calls for a pitching change and Carlos Villanueva comes in for the Jays. Polanco singles on a fly ball, scoring Valdez and Rollins. Ben Francisco singles scoring Victorino.
- Michael Stutes has an impressive 1,2,3 inning for his 1st on the mound for the Phillies, also showing off a pretty nice breaking ball.
- The Blue Jays kept their starting line-up in through 5 looking for a hit.
- Harold Garcia of the Phillies doubled in the 6th and looked to be trying to really prove himself.
- Juan Perez replaced Michael Stutes on the mound for the Phillies and allowed the Jays their first run, Eric Thames scored on a double off of Mike McCoy.
- Matt Anderson replaced Perez for the Phillies on the mound in the bottom of the 8th inning, he retired the side with a 1,2,3 inning.
- Dominic Brown was 0-4 this afternoon.
- Scott Mathieson replaced Anderson for the Phillies and allowed two final runs for the Jays.
- The Blue Jays were charged with 5 errors.
The Phillies beat the Blue Jays 6-3 in their 3rd Grapefruit League game.
The Phillies head back to Bright House Field tomorrow to take on the Detroit Tigers. As Cliff Lee makes his Grapefruit League debut.